Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dear Jamie, I've got a letter I would like to send
It's lacking strings of words with punctuation at the end
But should I trust this dialect
To convey the right effect?

Dear Jamie, I've got some things I'd like to set in pen
I would have used a pencil but lead's just not permanent
Should I trust my printer's ink
To express the things I think?

Every time I tried my best to think of something to contest
With inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

Dear Jamie, this envelope will represent my heart
I'll seal it, send it off and wish it luck with its depart
And this stamp will be every action that carried my affection
Across the air and land and sea

But should I trust the postage due
To deliver my heart to you?

Every time I tried my best to think of something to contest
With inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

Every page I tried my best to fill with something to contest
with inside jokes and other folks who've got much more to say

I'll give you all I can
A flower and a hand
I hope this helps you see
Signed, sincerely, me
--
This song reminds me of my parents and how they wrote letters to each other when they were apart for 10 years. Maybe one day I'll ask if I can read what they wrote to each other.
...I wonder why the song only ends with "Sincerely, Me" rather than "Love, Me" or "From, Me". Maybe it just adds something to the song. I don't know. One day I'll dissect these lyrics.

posted by Kat at 9:44 PM |

0 Comments: